4.25.2009

OMG. am I in charge?

Under the National Service Training Program, I knew we would be conducting a community service. Performing a community service is not just a prerequisite to be accomplished. This is our, students’, way of serving the country. If the ROTC’s are to give military service, we, the CWTS’, are to execute this mission. We just don’t do this because our instructor said so, maybe to some. But as for the dedicated personalities, including me, a community service is our ways of helping our nation grow. Youth are the saviors of the future; I’m part of the youth. Therefore, I am a savior of the future. We may not solve all problems in a snap, but we can lessen it by not becoming one and inspiring others to do become an inspiration as well. As for me, I won’t waste my chance showing how my God-given endowment would give chance for change, a positive way particularly.

Surprisingly, I was amazed to find out that we would not be doing the typical community service that other schools are offering. Being a metro aid, wherein for a fact that they clean streets under the hot, scorching sun, is what I would be doing the least. I never intended myself to do such grueling torture. If, I would just be cleaning dusty streets, then, I shouldn’t have taken a computer course. See the connection? So, having said that we would be thinking of our own service, I was really glad that we would be doing something oriented to what we like and based on our skills. It’s our time to shine, not under the sun that is! I absolutely did look forward to the success of our proposal.

Right after the set of rules and objectives were laid by our instructor to us, we then immediately thought of a good way to use our talents, hidden or out in the open, to be brought into play, in a good way that is. Obviously, what we first taught of was to teach Basic Computer Applications. This project suits our capabilities well, since we are the proud Computer Science students of this great institution. Also our flair in computer operations will be well highlighted. Tree planting was also raised as a proposal in addition to this project. We live in a city, and apparently, we know how Mother Nature is abused. Tree planting is the best solution we could think of, environmentally-wise.

Right from forming the program details of our said program, the so-called adrenaline rush came into contact with me again. Not because I ate again tons of sweets, but there’s this feeling glistening in me. Yes! I get to be the leader. Sure, I get to be in charge and boss around but that doesn’t make me feel delighted much. It is this feeling that you can motivate, not brainwash, someone to make his participation worthy. Being a leader means you need to exert more effort in the group than the others. Complaining will just get you no where. Keep on blaming everyone for the chaos created, and you’ll just end up with more problem that’s really gonna mess up all the efforts made. If someone won’t do it, don’t wait for him to realize he’s wrong. Thus, use the resources; there are more members willing to cooperate. I accepted the obligation, and then I knew I should be ready. One of the hardest things was to keep everything under control. Even though everything’s a total pandemonium, the leader should take the initiative to clean it up and return it to state of good working condition. Even it’s unimaginable to recover, the leader should always look at the positive side that it will soon be right, with proper actions that is.

As a person above 25 minds, it is my duty to create the flawless-possible program. Oh, this is easy. Set up an event, and voila! We’re done. That’s what I thought. My actual experiences proved me wrong. It seemed that going through the hole of a needle is easier than this commitment. And to add up, it’s really hard to deal with some members stereotyping me as a power-abuser (just because they did not get what they want), and an irresponsible brat (sometimes, things happen and it’s beyond my control). They don’t really know what happened and only sees the bad side of the situation, and therefore, blaming me. Then eventually getting unprofessional as some would start to pick and bicker on me. Actually, those acts of branding me as somewhat negative gave the brainwave to finish and prove them I have what it takes to organize this event.

The first thing the group has to wrap up is getting into the complete details of insinuated agenda. With all the never ending suggestions, it’s really hard to choose. To make the seemingly arduous moment a bit difficult, as the head, I had to learn to deal with people of different walks of life. This is to make sure no one is left feeling taken no notice of. Final decision was a Basic Computer Applications Software Workshop suited to handle 15 – 25 participants. Each participant would be attending two sessions in order to receive a certificate and at the same time, get to be included at discussions for further understanding. An attendance to the workshop comes with free snacks and lecture hand outs. The appeal for Tree planting was disregarded due to the financial standing of our group. In return, we would be conducting 6, instead of 4 sessions, to fill in the time requirement.

Right away details were turned from thoughts to paper; the next job is to talk to certain officials for giving us the permission to conduct our program. This, perhaps, is one of the most demanding of all. Right choice of words, correct presentation, and everything else must be considered before facing these people. With all my efforts to push through, the Barangay Officials just did not pay attention, I don’t why, but I don’t see a valid reason to turn down the proposition. They just simply don’t care. That’s what I think. Maybe education is not much of a priority to them. At that, I felt like giving up. But my principles, the hopes of my classmates for a good service and the innocent people thirsty for learning stopped me from being a quitter. With no support from the people whom I was assuming to get assistance, our group did actions just by ourselves. With them, we were just like imbeciles waiting for nothing. This is the episode on our community service drama that taught me that if every good intention, with no actions, would get you no where. Wasting all our time waiting, I decided to go personally to a school and give our group’s proposal to the person in charge, the school principal. With enthusiasm and great approval, we finally found a venue to teach & good supporters as well. It is the final decision that we would be teaching selected 4th and 5th graders of Bayanan Elementary School (MAIN). The target 6th graders can’t push through because of their review for an achievement test. We don’t want to be the cause of their failure in the said exam.

Maintaining the good flow and making sure that everything goes smoothly, I never thought it would cause me to cut some of my classes and probably, might cause me to not be an academic achiever this semester. I had to prepare everything, from the computer setup and remind the children about their workshop later. With those responsibilities on hand, having a double ganger was my only resort. Instead of getting myself into a paranormal activity, I just went with my plan: to cut my classes. As a perfectionist, I want no interruption and dissatisfaction from the attendees. It would kill me to hear such negative comments, and with me leading the pack. It was really hard, but with the entire group doing all the efforts and hardships to do a good job, the sacrifices I had were nothing compared to the compensation of touching lives and being an inspiration. I may not get a 1.00 printed permanently on my transcripts, but it is of great honor to hear the young voices saying “Thanks Ate Claire, we learned so much. We want you to teach us again. And I want to be like you.” These little futures of the world, saying they were inspired by me, really are my consolation. Those simple words that might mean nothing to others were like the heart that made me alive, kiss that made me strong; basically a sanctuary that was built inside of me to give me hope. During those times, I want to cry, it’s really a big thing for me that my efforts were noticed and given attention. I never thought I could fulfill one of my goals this young. Maybe, there’ll be academic landslides for me, but for the fact some people would get motivated & reach the pinnacle of his future career because of me, I would not regret doing those sacrifices.

Perhaps, a community service does not only teach leaders to lead, members to follow and cooperate. But it’s really the hidden lessons that are for someone to discover. Cooperation, Responsibility, the value of your rights, your duties and managing yourself to become better; those are just some of the lessons I’ve learned. Learning to trust yourself and fellow members will make a significant effect on our service. There’s much more to working together when you trust each other. Not only it reduces the pressure, personally speaking, but it made me feel the burden’s not all mine.

I did not feel sorry for being a part of these humble beginnings that went to a flourishing end. For this community service did not only pave way for us to give service to our community but reach the expectations people are looking forward to. For me, to lead the youngsters to their future successes is our ultimate goal. And accomplishing that intention really made our community service successful.


**claiire**

No comments: